731 Brunswick St – The Allen House
ADDRESS: 731 Brunswick St., Fredericton, N.B., E3B 1H8 LOCATION: Dowtown and only three short blocks from the Saint John River and its network of walking/biking trails. Supermarkets, shopping, churches and restaurants, plus business and government services are nearby within walking distance, as well as municipal bus service. The N.B. Legislature Building, Farmers Market, Beaverbrook Art Gallery and Fredericton Playhouse are only a block away. BUILDING TYPE: Heritage conversion with a sympathetic addition. Now 6 units. FEATURES: The Allen house is located in Fredericton’s downtown Heritage Preservation Area. This complex is a fine example of sympathetic expansion, providing six large residential units. The ground floor suite features a large double parlor with hardwood floors and French doors to the side veranda. The carved and winding staircase gives access to the 2nd and 3rd level units. The 3rd level unit has a dramatic sky light in the hall. The two rear townhouse units are built to appear as an outbuilding to the original house. Some of the units feature in suite laundry and a coin – op laundry is also available, as well as exterior parking. NAME ORIGIN: The property was occupied for many years in the late 19th century by three maiden Allen sisters Charlotte, Ann and Frances. HISTORY: This property appears on the A.M. Hubly aerial map of 1882. The brass plaque by the front entrance indicates the home was originally a 1.5 storey building and later had the roof raised and the Victorian mansard roof added. The Allan family sold the house in 1901 to Andrew Wetmore and it stayed in the Wetmore family until 1990. Fredericton Rentals bought the property and replaced the crumbling foundation which allowed a new three bedroom basement unit. As well, the second floor rear flat roof was replaced with a pitched roof resulting in the third floor apartment gaining two more bedrooms. In 1994 the two town house units were added to the rear of the building.