ADDRESS: 825 Union St., Fredericton, N.B., E3A 3P5 LOCATION: Northside of Fredericton and only four blocks to the Bill Thorpe Walking Bridge, giving access to Downtown Fredericton’s cultural, government, business and shopping facilities. Located on the main through fare in the area, it has easy access to Fredericton’s Trail System as well. Carleton Park and boat launch are located directly across the street. BUILDING TYPE: Heritage Conversion – 6 units. FEATURES: Since Gibson Landing faces Carleton Park and the Saint John River, its units have a panoramic view of the scenic Fredericton Green & Riverfront. Carleton Park’s wide lawns and boat launching area are an asset to the neighborhood. Recreation facilities are also convenient with a skating arena and soccer fields one block away on Barker St. and Fredericton’s walking and cycling trails within sight nearby. This six unit building provides spacious three bedroom units with large dining rooms and living room areas. Hookups are provided for private laundry facilities and storage is available in the basement lockers. Four units have two levels and two units are on the first level. Exterior parking is available. NAME ORIGIN: Gibson Landing in the village of Gibson (now Devon) at the mouth of the Nashwaak River, is the old riverboat name used for the area when entrepreneur Boss Gibson was developing his lumbering business and cotton mill up stream in Marysville in the late 19th century. A large wharf is pictured on the waterfront in an 1878 map of the area.
HISTORY: Built in the 1800’s close to the St. John River and not far from the mouth of its tributary, the Nashwaak River, this property was central to major commercial activity in its day . Originally a two family home, it had a second level attached out house with a sluice way to the ground level. It was purchased by Fredericton Housing Ltd. in 1959. At this time they replaced the old foundation, removed the outhouse and renovated the old house, known as The Beehive, into six large apartments. The construction company was building single family homes in Fulton Heights, Nashwaaksis at the time and expanded into apartment rental development (Fredericton Rentals Ltd.) to keep its skilled workers employed in the winter months.